Monday, November 1, 2010

Thanksgiving

Today is November 1st. The start of the Holiday Season. Halloween has just passed and we are all beginning to think about Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite Holidays. Growing up, I always loved the Fall weather and getting together with family. I loved the Thanksgiving Day parade in Detroit. I only saw it once in person, but it was always watched on that special Thursday. I still love to see at least one parade, even though it is just not the same as my "hometown" experience :)

When the boys were little, I think Anthony was about 4 so Zachary was 6 and Andrew was 7, we started a tradition that for the month of November, everyday we would tell something that we were thankful for. It could be and sometimes was, something silly or something very serious. It just had to be whatever we were thankful for - especially that day.

It has become one of my favorite traditions. So over the next 30 days, everyday, I will post something I am thankful for. I am listing them on Facebook as well, however there may be some additional details listed on my BLOG.

Today I am thankful for my sons..........

Almost 14 years ago, I learned that I was not able to biologically have children. That was, at that point in my life, one of the most devastating things that I had faced. I had suspected for a while, but once confirmed, I knew that God had a plan that we would somehow adopt, or a the least foster children. We thought about a baby from China, but just didn't feel that was the direction that God wanted us to go. Through many circumstances, we decided that we would be foster parents, which then resulted in the decision to adopt 3 wonderful little boys. You know them as Andrew (Drew), Zachary and Anthony.

I never dreamed that being a mom would be so wonderful, scary, heart -wrenching, challenging and joyful - sometimes all at once!

But for these 3 boys that God brought into my life, I am truly thankful. I hope that I am ALWAYS able to step back and remember the precious, wonderful gifts that they are. One has already gone on to be with his heavenly Father and I only hope that he knew how very much I loved him. The other two, well we are all a work in progress. I hope that through my trial and error, they will still always know that I love them more than anything or anyone on this earth.
In the end, I guess that's all that really matters.

So as we begin the countdown (either until Thanksgiving, Christmas, tree decorating, school break, vacation or whatever it is for you). I will try to be thankful and share that thankfulness with you :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm thankful you chose foster/adoption because that brought you into my life!!!!!

    ReplyDelete